Friday, December 19, 2008

Warren

While I totally get the "unify the electorate" argument, I must say that I think it's a bit of a slap in the face to not only gays but everyone that fought against Prop.8 or even just felt saddened by Prop.8 to choose someone that played an active role in supporting it. I'm no expert on evangical leaders but I'm guessing there are plenty of other choices that may not be quite as close to something so recently controversial. The thing is is that arguing that this guy let Obama speak in his church and that we should be able to "disagree without being disagreable" is great. But the truth is that this man actually worked against the very foundation of that argument by promoting legislation that would not only negate any intelligent discussion but actually outlaw that very discussion. The literal purpose of Prop 8 was to end any discussion or disagreement in legal terms so in supporting it Warren obviously is not one to promote the argument Obama has given for choosing him.

In addition the pure political nature of the pick leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Oh well, at the end of the day it's not that big of a deal but I do feel like "the gays" have been slapped around enough lately.

No comments: